Into the Backcountry begins on Adam Fletcher’s 20th birthday. After a memorable, private supper prepared by his beloved Laney Martin, he learns that his grandfather may need to send him on an open-ended expedition into the colony’s interior to find an old acquaintance.
While he prepared himself for all of the common dangers that one might encounter in North Carolina’s largely untamed backcountry, he never expected how this months-long journey would impact his life, or the changed world he would encounter upon his return to Beaufort.
Into the Backcountry is the seventh book in the Adam Fletcher Adventure Series of historical fiction novels. If you like fast-moving adventures, impetuous young heroes, suspense-filled plots, and a dash of romance, then you’ll love Sara Whitford’s entertaining series!
Get Into the Backcountry at
Have you read all of Adam Fletcher’s Adventures?
If not, here is the complete catalog leading up to Into the Backcountry:
- The Smuggler’s Gambit – Seventeen-year-old Adam Fletcher is no stranger to fist fights, but when he bloodies the nose of Francis Smythe, the obnoxious son of Port Beaufort’s customs agent, the local magistrate offers Adam two choices: jail or an apprenticeship. Choosing the latter, he soon finds himself bound apprentice to a reclusive old man with a secret, colorful past. Initially, Adam is less than thrilled about his situation, but when he is asked to spy on his new master as a suspected smuggler, he has to decide whether or not he will betray the man… Or will he do whatever is necessary to protect him, possibly putting even his own family at risk? Secrets will be revealed, loyalties will be questioned, betrayals will be uncovered, and a young man’s character will be put to the test in The Smuggler’s Gambit.
- Captured in the Caribbean – June 1766 – Havana, Cuba. Adam Fletcher begins a life-altering quest when he travels to help deliver cargo in the West Indies. Not long after the Carolina Gypsy arrives in the bustling port of Havana, Cuba, Adam ventures out on his own to track down a man who he has been told may have information about his father. His plans are complicated, however, when he ends up being taken hostage by the very men he hired as interpreters. When his shipmates receive a ransom letter, they launch a desperate search to find him, but meanwhile, Adam plots his own escape from the hands of his captors. Once he discovers who’s behind it all, he starts thinking that maybe he should have left well-enough alone instead of trying to dig up secrets that were buried in the past.
- Murder in the Marsh – Port Beaufort, North Carolina – December 1766. After a tumultuous time in Havana where he uncovered more family secrets in a week than most people do in a lifetime, Adam Fletcher is grateful things are finally starting to get back to normal. That is, until an inexplicable series of brutal crimes in the region hits a little too close to home. Suddenly, Adam finds himself in the middle of hunting down clues to try and identify the suspect, or suspects, in three different murders, one of which has a mystery victim.
- The Gypsy’s Curse – In this fourth installment in the Adam Fletcher Adventure Series, a gypsy family sets up camp on the edge of town peddling tinctures, potions, magic, and fortunetelling. And like a moth to a flame, Adam Fletcher is drawn there. He decides to pay the mysterious Madame Endora a visit, just for fun — or so he thinks. Soon after, a series of worrisome circumstances begin to unfold, one after the other, sending the sleepy port town of Beaufort into a hysterical frenzy. Is there really a curse, or is something more sinister to blame?
- The Stolen Bride – Adam Fletcher’s fifth adventure picks up right where The Gypsy’s Curse left off —in the kitchen of the Topsail Tavern. After the initial shock has worn off about Santiago’s return, Adam and his father decide to go on a short errand together to New Bern to deliver a letter for Emmanuel. While they’re in town, they learn that Annabelle, the new bride of the recently-freed Martin family slave, Charles Jr., has gone missing. Adam and his father are glad to try and help find her, but when they discover where she is and what has happened, it’s a race against the clock to secure her safety. The adventure will take father and son all the way to Boston to track down Will Martin, the only person who can intervene on Annabelle’s behalf. They soon find out that making it back to North Carolina with Will — along with some unexpected companions — was only half the battle.
- Christmas in Beaufort – An Adam Fletcher Adventure novella just in time for the holidays! Christmas in Beaufort picks up right where The Stolen Bride (Book 5) leaves off. Adam and his friends return to Carteret County after their unexpected adventure to New England. When they return, Adam finds out a lot has happened while he was away. His best friend, Martin, is now engaged to be married, but there will be no wedding unless Adam can help him clear his name of a serious allegation. To top it all off, Christmas is just around the corner, and with a dinner party planned at the Topsail Tavern, Adam has a lot to accomplish if there is to be a happy holiday season in Beaufort. Christmas in Beaufort includes bonus content. That’s like stocking stuffers in book form!